March 4, 2013

Mango Shaved Ice

The other day when I was out wondering aimlessly again I came across a pretty swell poster that broke down the highlights of Taipei in terms I could understand.

Basic and crude illustrations.
At work we're always considering the dumbest possible consumer. Typically it annoys me, but today I sincerely appreciated the strategy. On this poster was yet another reminder that I needed to try Mango Shaved Ice. I'd been told it was something I should try and had tucked it away in my wee brain. I even ordered a few ice treats thinking maybe that was what people were talking about.

But the illustration made it pretty clear that I hadn't had the Mango Shaved Ice at all! I was on a mission.

Thank God for Google. It makes missions so much easier.

I started researching and came across a Hungry Girl's Guide to Taipei. It was an amazing find for two reasons. One, I also was hungry and two, I was in Taipei.

So that night, per Hungry Girl's recommendation, we had dinner at a little Singaporean/French place in our neighborhood and then ventured out to find Ice Monster, a popular shop selling the coveted ice.

Au Jardin really tickled the designer in me. So pretty.


I wasn't sure why Zombies were allowed but not Aliens? Maybe with Aliens there is more of an unknown and with Zombies you kinda know what you're getting?
I won't bore you with the entire meal, but the tofu on the salad was perfect. It's worth noting. Let's just admire it for a moment. Also I want the table.

I wasn't exactly hungry after dinner but I'd heard you could expect long lines at Ice Monster and since it was cold and rainy I thought it'd be a good night to pay a visit, plus I had become obsessed with the idea.

As usual I was right. No lines!

Ice Monster was as good as I'd hoped. Just like everyone had said the texture of the ice was like nothing I had ever seen; a sort of combination between cotton candy and a croissant. It was like eating fresh fallen snow and melted on your tongue. It was covered in fresh mangoes, a blob of sorbet, some sort of pudding and topped with sauce. It was delightful. And the interior? Well, no doubt they hired a designer.

 When they first brought it over we thought there was no way we'd be able to finish it. Ha.
They had other flavors as well like strawberry, coffee and milk tea. They also serve popsicles and some other icy treats. You could even get shots of espresso and Bailey's Irish Cream. As you can see we just stuck with the mango. I had a teacher once tell me that you must first understand the rules before you can break them. I've always applied this theory in my life as I've found it to be pretty right on. I always follow the exact recipe first and then alter it the second time, I never salt my food before I've tasted it first, and if a country is knows for a mango treat I don't order the strawberry on my first visit.
So as we're leaving a man comes over and lets us sample some of the other flavors. Then he offers to take a picture. We just assumed he was going to take a picture of us, but then he called over an employee so he could be in the photo with us. Hilarious! I must do this to someone.

"Would you like a picture? Okay great. Hey Nils, come over here and get a photo of me with these people."

I will also stand between them.

Oh yea then he gave us free samples. I had read in Hungry Girl's blog that's common. I assume he was the owner. Plus, and I mean this in the nicest way possible, I think that yellow face is him. Amiright?

2 comments:

  1. What a treasure of a place! I'm reading this right before lunch and that salad looks so good. Top it off with the mango ice and YUM! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your description of mango shaved ice makes me really want to try some! And agreed, that tofu is suspiciously perfect. Impressive.

    ReplyDelete